Monday, August 23, 2010

Replacing A Failed Hard Drive In A Software RAID1 Array

Replacing A Failed Hard Drive In A Software RAID1 Array

Version 1.0
Author: Falko Timme
Last edited 01/21/2007


This guide shows how to remove a failed hard drive from a Linux RAID1 array (software RAID), and how to add a new hard disk to the RAID1 array without losing data.
I do not issue any guarantee that this will work for you!

1. Preliminary Note

In this example I have two hard drives, /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, with the partitions /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 as well as /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2.

/dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 make up the RAID1 array /dev/md0.
/dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2 make up the RAID1 array /dev/md1.
/dev/sda1 + /dev/sdb1 = /dev/md0
/dev/sda2 + /dev/sdb2 = /dev/md1
/dev/sdb has failed, and we want to replace it.



2. How Do I Tell If A Hard Disk Has Failed?

If a disk has failed, you will probably find a lot of error messages in the log files, e.g. /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog.


You can also run

cat /proc/mdstat

and instead of the string [UU] you will see [U_] if you have a degraded RAID1 array.

3. Removing The Failed Disk

To remove /dev/sdb, we will mark /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2 as failed and remove them from their respective RAID arrays (/dev/md0 and /dev/md1).
First we mark /dev/sdb1 as failed:

mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --fail /dev/sdb1

The output of

cat /proc/mdstat

should look like this:

server1:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [raid4] [raid6] [raid10]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[2](F)
      24418688 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      24418688 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: 

Then we remove /dev/sdb1 from /dev/md0:

mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --remove /dev/sdb1

The output should be like this:

server1:~# mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --remove /dev/sdb1
mdadm: hot removed /dev/sdb1

And

cat /proc/mdstat

should show this:

server1:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [raid4] [raid6] [raid10]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0]
      24418688 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      24418688 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: 

Now we do the same steps again for /dev/sdb2 (which is part of /dev/md1):

mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sdb2

cat /proc/mdstat

 server1:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [raid4] [raid6] [raid10]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0]
      24418688 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[2](F)
      24418688 blocks [2/1] [U_]

unused devices: 

mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --remove /dev/sdb2

server1:~# mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --remove /dev/sdb2
mdadm: hot removed /dev/sdb2

cat /proc/mdstat

server1:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [raid4] [raid6] [raid10]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0]
      24418688 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0]
      24418688 blocks [2/1] [U_]

unused devices: 

Then power down the system:

shutdown -h now

and replace the old /dev/sdb hard drive with a new one (it must have at least the same size as the old one - if it's only a few MB smaller than the old one then rebuilding the arrays will fail).

4. Adding The New Hard Disk

After you have changed the hard disk /dev/sdb, boot the system. The first thing we must do now is to create the exact same partitioning as on /dev/sda. We can do this with one simple command:

sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb

You can run

fdisk -l

to check if both hard drives have the same partitioning now.

Next we add /dev/sdb1 to /dev/md0 and /dev/sdb2 to /dev/md1:

mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1

server1:~# mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1
mdadm: re-added /dev/sdb1

mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --add /dev/sdb2

server1:~# mdadm --manage /dev/md1 --add /dev/sdb2
mdadm: re-added /dev/sdb2

Now both arays (/dev/md0 and /dev/md1) will be synchronized. Run

cat /proc/mdstat

to see when it's finished.

During the synchronization the output will look like this:

server1:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [raid4] [raid6] [raid10]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
      24418688 blocks [2/1] [U_]
      [=>...................]  recovery =  9.9% (2423168/24418688) finish=2.8min speed=127535K/sec

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      24418688 blocks [2/1] [U_]
      [=>...................]  recovery =  6.4% (1572096/24418688) finish=1.9min speed=196512K/sec

unused devices: 

When the synchronization is finished, the output will look like this:

server1:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [raid4] [raid6] [raid10]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
      24418688 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      24418688 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: 

That's it, you have successfully replaced /dev/sdb!

No comments :

Post a Comment